Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Final Bow

I stayed home in bed last Saturday night, and was checking on my twitter feed when I saw tweets about Jil Sander's show for Milan Fashion Week.  I was curious and clicked on a few twitpics, and fell in love with the set design: lovely floral bouquets encased in glass and placed on narrow platforms that were placed on stage.
jil sander 6

Its Creative Director for eight years, Belgian Raf Simons is on his last stint for the German label Jil (pronounced Gil) Sander, which makes this collection his farewell show.  I am a fan of Raf Simons' simplistic designs, and unique feminine silhouettes.  His color combination choices are always amazing, and I believe he is responsible for the "color blocking" trend a few years back.  So, following my twitter feeds was a must that night.

As expected, makeup was very minimal.  Baring all, with only a hint of color on the lips.  Backstage makeup artist Peter Philips shared in Vogue: "Rosebud-pink lips. “Raf was thinking about a day in the life of a woman as she moves from morning to afternoon to night. He wanted something soft, delicate, and quite sensual for the Jil Sander woman."  Hairstylist Guido Palau complemented the look with a fifties-inspired low pony for a crisp look.
jil sander 5

As for the collection, friends know that I love anything pink and Sander's collection had snippets of pink that made me love this set all the more.  Plus, who would have thought that pink would be able to transcend from spring to fall? :)  Here are some of my favorites:
jil sander1

jil sander 4

One of the colors I don't like wearing is black, but I wouldn't mind wearing it if it was this number on the right.  The shiny patent-like fabric makes it so interesting.  A gathered waist style with pockets are added reasons, too!
jil sander2

Raf Simons, taking his final bow---teary-eyed, with the stage filled with colleagues and editors congratulating him.
jil sander3 
 Photos taken from nyc-fashion.com

Rumor has it that Raf Simons is set to move to the house of Dior, but that remains a rumor.  Either way, we can't wait to see what's in store for this Belgian designer.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin